What is Formula SAE?
Formula SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) is the world's largest collegiate engineering competition, encompassing hundreds of schools from around the world. The competition calls for students to design and build an approximately two-thirds scale formula one car from the ground up every year. There are several annual competitions located in the US, UK, Germany, Australia Austria, Japan, Italy, and Brazil.
The students must defend their design to a panel of industry leaders through a series of static and dynamic tests. The static events include business presentation, cost evaluation, and design evaluation in which a team can acquire 30% of competition points. In order to proceed to the dynamic events, a car must pass a rigorous technical inspection to ensure the car is safe and follows competition regulations. Finally, a team can back any smack talk and try to gain the remaining 70% of points through the dynamic tests: skid-pad, acceleration, autocross, and endurance.
What is TigerRacing?
TigerRacing is still going strong into the 2020's.
The Early Years
TigerRacing has existed since the early 90's as an on-and-off senior design project in which a hand full of mechanical engineering students tackled the project. In early 2012, a group of seniors pushed to move TigerRacing from senior design into an official LSU club, which allowed for the team to expand and pass on valuable knowledge from year to year. Backed by the engineering community, Chad Becht and David Yingst led a strong team to build the third most successful FSAE car in TigerRacing's history, "Carly Rae,” which could not have been possible without generous sponsors, strict deadlines, numerous testing days, and the determination to succeed.
Each and every year, the team strives to outperform more of the competition and work towards our "perfect" car. We establish five-year plans to think about the big picture of the team and the car, and after each season we set goals and objectives that will actively put us closer to achieving that five-year plan.